Re: ARMY FIELD MANUALS

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Joel,

I just rummaged through the stacks here at UVA and came up with a few titles that might be of use to you. You should work with a librarian at a USGPO depository library near you for more (there is at least one in every state). Most titles are available through interlibrary loan, and your local librarian can advise you on this.

War Department:

TM55-280 OPERATION OF RAILROADS: STANDARD PAINTING, LETTERING, AND NUMBERING OF RAILROAD EQUIPMENT (1946)
TM55-590 TRANSPORTATION OF NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS, MATERIEL, AND SUPPLIES (1947)
TM55-285 OPERATION OF RAILROADS: GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE OF ROLLING STOCK (1946)
TM55-265 TRANSPORTATION RULES, MILITARY RAILWAY SERVICE (1943)
TM55-270 OPERATION OF RAILROADS: GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE OF LOCOMOTIVES AND LOCOMOTIVE CRANES (1945)
TM55-271 OPERATION OF RAILROADS: DIESEL-ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVES (1944)

Dept. of Defense:

TM55-2210-206-35P DIRECT SUPPORT . . . LOCOMOTIVE, DIESEL ELECTRIC . . . ELECTRO-MOTIVE MODEL GP7L (1960)
TM55-2210-203-35 FIELD AND DEPOT MAINTENANCE, LOCOMOTIVE . . . BALDWIN LIMA-HAMILTON MODEL RS-4-TC (1961)
TM55-2200-002-12 TRANSPORTABILITY GUIDANCE, GENERAL RULES AND SUGGESTED PROCEDURES FOR LOADING AND SECURING MILITARY CARGO IN CLOSED RAILCARS (1974)
TM55-2200-001-12 TRANSPORTABILITY GUIDANCE, APPLICATION OF BLOCKING, BRACING, AND TIEDOWN MATERIALS FOR RAIL TRANSPORT (1978)

I am pretty sure we had more stuff, but some may have been discarded, or moved to our dreaded storage facility off-grounds. Sorry, nothing on the ALCO locomotives, but I am willing to be it was in series TM55-2210.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

brooklynbus wrote:

GENTLEMAN:Anyone have access to WW-2(or later)USATC Field Manuals?Im looking for manuals covering the care and feeding of ALCO/EMD RSD diesels and freight car loadings of tanks.trucks,etc....
Hope you can help
Thanks
Joel Norman