Re: Styron

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

While it may be a broad or incorrect use of the term "resin", the plastic plant where my mother worked (Sinclair-Koppers, makers of Dylite, a competitor to Styrofoam) used to - and perhaps still does - receive tank cars labeled Styrene Monomer and Vinyl Chloride. Empty coming or going, I don't know, but this was pretty much common since this ex-Rubber Reserve butadiene plant was converted to plastic manufacture in 1946 or so. In non-technical literature this may be what they meant.

I also remember in the 60's and 70's fiber drums with the S-K logo on them.


----- Original Message -----
From: soolinehistory

We need a bit of discussion about the term resin, a generic term that covers a lot of territory. Since the original question was about Styron polystyrene, I wanted to correct the impression that it was a liquid. Almost all thermoPLASTIC resins (that's the PLASTICS that Dustin Hoffman was advised to get into in the movie The Graduate) are reacted during manufacture so they become fully polymerized, and are delivered to the "processor" (molder, extruder, etc.) as a solid, either pellets or powder. The processor simply melts it to make it change shape; no further chemical reaction takes place at this stage.

But the broader use of the term includes the material in the un-reacted state, and this is typically a liquid.

Join { to automatically receive all group messages.