Express Refrigerator Cars on the YVT, 1935 to 1963

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

Recently I have been working on more of the Yakima Valley Transportation Co. records and I have been going through the file on express shipments. From 1935 to 1963 the YVT shipped at least 157 express car loads of predominately cherries but in 1958 some prunes were also sent. The cars were mostly REX cars but cars also came from ACL, ATSF, GARX, GN, NP. NRC, PFE, PRR, SL-SF and WP. These were loaded at Ahtanum, Orchard, and Westbrook stations on the YVT and routed over the UP, the YVT parent company. These cars mostly went to the east coast and south.

In 1935 the 7 cars with routings were as follows:

PFE 791, 6-27-1935, Ahtanum to Yakima – YVT, Yakima to Denver – UP, Denver to El Paso – AT&SF, El Paso to San Antonio – T&NO

PRR 2691, 6-28-1935, Ahtanum to Yakima – YVT, Yakima to Huntington – OWR&N, Huntington to Granger – OSL, Granger to Omaha – UP, Omaha to Chicago – C&NW, Chicago to Chicago – Belt Ry., Chicago to New York – Erie

SLSF 493, 6-29-1935, Ahtanum to Yakima – YVT, Yakima to Huntington – OWR&N, Huntington to Granger – OSL, Granger to Omaha – UP, Omaha to Chicago – C&NW, Chicago to Chicago – Belt Ry., Chicago to New York – Erie

PRR 2762, 6-30-1935, Ahtanum to Yakima – YVT, Yakima to Huntington – OWR&N, Huntington to Granger – OSL, Granger to Omaha – UP, Omaha to Chicago – C&NW, Chicago to Chicago – Belt Ry., Chicago to New York – Erie

PRR 2809, 7-3-1935, Ahtanum to Yakima – YVT, Yakima to Omaha – UP, Omaha to Chicago – C&NW, Chicago to Chicago – Belt Ry., Chicago to Scranton – Erie

NP 3276, 7-5-1935, Ahtanum to Yakima – YVT, Yakima to Huntington – OWR&N, Huntington to Granger – OSL, Granger to Omaha – UP, Omaha to Chicago – C&NW, Chicago to Chicago – Belt Ry., Chicago to New York – Erie

NP 3369, 7-6-1935, Ahtanum to Yakima – YVT, Yakima to Huntington – OWR&N, Huntington to Granger – OSL, Granger to Omaha – UP, Omaha to Chicago – C&NW, Chicago to Chicago – Belt Ry., Chicago to New York – Erie

I have created an Excel spreadsheet of all the cars and placed it in the files section under a folder titled Express Reefers on the YVT.

Richard Wilkens

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.