From: Jack Burgess <jack@...>
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Weathering Chalk
To: STMFC@...
Date: Monday, March 29, 2010, 10:57 AM

I've used pastel chalks (oil-based) for decades and never over-spray them
with Dullcote. However, I do my initial weathering with an airbrush, some
(such as sun-fading) when I initially air brush the model and the rest after
the decals have been applied and the car has been given a flat spray. I use
the pastels to provide additional color variations on the wheelsets and
trucks, on brake parts, and on other small details that I want to "pop" out
from the rest of the car. You can also use chalks to occasionally to
replicate lettering which has dissolved and starting to stain the side of
the car. I don't find a need to seal the car after applying this final
weathering since I don't handle my cars nor let anyone else do it and it is
limited to fine details. But, remember that most of the weathering (that
which would be most susceptible to handling) is done with an air brush.

A quick search on Amazon brought up a set of 36 Pentel oil-based chalks (the
same manufacturer of the set I use) which includes black, grey, white,
yellow, and rust (along with many others)...all the basic colors you need
for $10. Those chalks will give you and a friend enough chalk to last a
lifetime. I use a piece of sheet-rock metal sandpaper and scrape the chalks
onto it to create a pile of powder, saving each color of powder in a small
plastic 6-compartment storage box.

Bragdon Enterprises (www.bragdonent. com) sells some non-pastel materials
which a lot of modelers like. I have some but they are more expensive and I
like the fine control of the pastels better. But they might not be as
susceptible to coming off while handling.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyr r.com