Re: Train Schedules and the USRA

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 2, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Jim Dick wrote:
I cannot comment on Tony's assertion regarding the PRR, either one
way or the other, as there is nothing to confirm or deny that
statement. I did find comments on handing express fruit shipments
to the Erie.
Remember, this is not an assertion by ME, it is a report of
what I was told by PFE retirees. The transcript of my interviews has
been deposited a couple of places, including CSRM, if anyone would
like to read it for themselves. I should also repeat what I've said
earlier, that the PFE people did not think much of the NYC or B&O for
perishable dependability, either, only that PRR ranked even lower. To
them, the Erie really stood out. I have heard the same from Santa Fe
sources regarding SFRD shipments.
I will add that written instructions have survived advising Santa Fe
agents to ship perishables east of Chicago via the Erie and GTW if
possible and to use the PRR only as a last resort. I don't know if I
have copies of them, but I've seen them, and I'm thoroughly persuaded
that SFRD thinking and policy in this matter was the same as that of
PFE. Why there are still those who doubt this, or what their
motivation might be, I can't imagine. In any event, the PRR's
atrocious loss rate on perishables is well documented in the ICC
archives, so it's small wonder that the western RRs didn't want the
PRR handling perishable shipments if there was an alternative. The
reluctance to understand and accept this well established history is
difficult to understand.

Richard Hendrickson