Re: Perishable Routing

railwayman <stevelucas3@...>

Richard--

I think that you're describing GTW Train 490. Out of Chicago (Elsdon)
at 10.00 pm, arriving Port Huron 6.00 am. After going through the St. Clair Tunnel, it left Sarnia on CN just after 10.00 am for Toronto, Montreal and the New England states. Almost all track on the GTW between Chicago and Port Huron was double track, with entirely double track on CN from Sarnia to Montreal.

This train was hot on the Canadian side as well, at least as far as Montreal. From Ian Wilson's "Steam Through London"--

In the eyes of railwaymen, number 490 has passenger train status, and Heaven help anyone who gets in its way".

There are photos of SFRD reefers in Toronto in the 1920's, being emptied of perishables on a team track near the Toronto Fruit Terminal.

The CPR could not come close to competing with CN for this traffic, as they took Canadian-bound traffic at Windsor from the NYC/MCRR and other roads over a mostly single-track railway to Toronto and Montreal.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

On Apr 3, 2010, at 12:09 PM, Allen Rueter wrote:

Richard,
Are there any notes on preferred routes for perishables to
Detroit Union Produce Terminal?
(GTW went to Detroit, but it would of been a transfer run down to
DUPT).
Nothing specific in that regard, Allen, just a general preference for
routing via GTW in preference to alternate routings. What the
alternate routings for Detroit might have been I don't know offhand,
but I know that SFRD was pleased with GTW's service that connected
with CN to Toronto and Montreal, both of which were sizable markets
for southwestern produce. For years, GTW had a fast freight that
departed Chicago at 10 p.m. each evening with the day's perishable
traffic from western connections. Employees called it the "cuckoo
train" because, one of them explained, "if it's even a few minutes
late in leaving, the boss goes cuckoo."