Perishable Schedules

Bill Welch

I have been fortunate to scan several "Perishable Schedules" published by the ACL, SAL, and L&N and anticipate accessing several more including a group published by the Southern soon. I also have one from the Charleston & Western Carolina. Many of these were loaned to me to scan by collector and dealer Kent Hannah plus my friends John King and Jim Singer.

All of these help draw a picture of the way Fruit Growers Express traffic moved from the southeast to the major markets of the northeast and upper midwest, which involved many other railroads in addition to the B&O and PRR (this is not said to diminish the volume of either of these RR's).

A nice example is the relatively simple schedule published by the C&WC for train #97 which originated in Augusta, GA (with reefers originating from the ACL, SAL and FEC) and was handed off to the Clinchfield at Spartanburg, SC to travel behind their Challengers (and later grey & yellow EMD F-5's) to the C&O at Elkhorn City, KY. From here the C&O moved FGE's traffic to:

Buffalo, NY via the NKP
Charleston, VW
Chicago, IL
Cincinnati, OH
Cleveland, OH via the NKP
Detroit, MI via NYC in some cases
Flint, MI
Ft Wayne, IN via the NKP
Fostoria, OH
Grand Rapids, MI
Huntington, WV
Lansing, MI
Saginaw, MI
Toledo, OH
Toronto, ON via CP
Toronto, ON via D&TSL-GT-CN

Another example was part of the schedule from Birmingham, AL for cars delivered by the Seaboard Airline

Lv. B'ham 7 PM Wed. via the I.C. to Ar. Chicago 11 PM Thurs.
Lv. B'ham 7:30 PM Wed. via the SL-SF to Kansas City, Ar. Thurs. 4 AM
Lv. B'ham 4 AM Thurs. via the GM&O to Memphis Ar. 8:30 PM Thurs.

Bill Welch