Re: interchange (Meat from CGW)

Thomas Baker

Brian,

As a young boy I recall standing on the platform of the new Marshalltown depot in the early to mid-Fifties waiting for Number 6 to take us north to Minneapolis. More than once a freight train heading toward Oelwein got out of Kansas City and Des Moines ahead of us. I stood on the platform and believe I saw some Rath refrigerator cars in the consist. I definitely saw SFRD refrigerator cars, produce I assume, in that consist. Perhaps the CGW was forwarding the RATH cars to Waterloo.

I don't doubt that some meat went to the NYC, but according to my source, the CGW preferred to deal with the NKP when it came to meat.

Tom