Re: Sale of Champ Decals

Charlie Vlk

The price of Champ should be based on what Walthers got for their decal business......

....from what I understand, they offered the whole works.... screens, plates, etc... to whoever would back a truck up to the warehouse and get rid of it for them. Presumably Whatever research materials existed long since passed over to the manufacturing side of WKW.
They didn't have any takers from what I've heard. The only thing of value for a non-digital based business would be the source material and perhaps some of the original artwork if it were scanable.

Nobody (well, I probably shouldn't make that statement... almost nobody) in their right mind would base a venture on pen and ink drawing of artwork for decal production today.
The costs and quality that computer-based art and processes allow are the only viable basis for a for-profit business. Of course, we are talking about the HOBBY Industry so the rules are apparently a little different.....

We will see some viable tooling become boat anchors because of over-valuation of their worth by retiring owners. There is some stuff worth touching up (maybe so much in rolling stock) but we're going to lose some nice building kits because of this.

Charlie Vlk

Tom Olsen wrote:
> Connie has officially placed the company up for sale. If the company
> is not sold, she plans to shut down completely. Hopefully someone
> will buy the company as a complete shutdown would make it difficult
> to letter a great many of the freight cars that we currently build.
> Not always do the decals in many of the kits we buy do the job.

I couldn't agree more, Tom, but in conversations with Connie it
is clear that they do not wish to have the business professionally
valued, but are simply setting a very high price, based I guess on
their personal feelings for how great a business it is (or was). This
is common with hobby businesses, where individuals have poured a great
deal of themselves into the work and cannot conceive that it might not
be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
This is not to criticize Connie--she has labored mightily in
recent years to keep Champ alive, and is certainly entitled to every
buck she can get from the sale--but I personally doubt her pricing
ideas will find a buyer.

Publishers of books on railroad history