Re: Wine cars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Matt Herson wrote:
The citation is from Russ Strodtz from a posting on his Rail Freight Group.
"For example I've got a copy of a bill in front of me for a CMWX car of wine. San Martin CA to Bronx NY. No diversions involved, just a straight routing. It is routed SP-SP&S-NP-CB&Q-NYC."
This sounds like a shipper-specified routing. And remember that SP had a very friendly relation with NP, so that connection would have been acceptable. Why the shipper wanted a northern routing, though, is unclear, unless it was some aspect of dependable service. I've read that some routings were created specifically to solve the Chicago-handoff problem.

Publishers of books on railroad history