Re: interchange (Perishable Connections)

switchengines <jrs060@...>

Tom, and Brian, you both are no doubt correct about some of the meat going
to the NYC. The figures that I had seen from a presentation that Jim Singer did
at Naperville a few years ago confirmed that NYC got a huge portion of the
perishable traffic to the east. And if you think about it, it makes perfect sense,
it's a good connections, with fast routing to the population centers of the east,
and with many consignees served by NYC railroad itself, this is all perfectly
understandable.
MC (NYC) handled it's hot perishable traffic through Canada to Buffalo. With
MC having hot connecting trains off the IHB, at Blue Island, and out of Joliet, off
the Santa Fe, to handle the traffic. Many great photos exist to show how big this
interchange was, and how it worked. What amazes me is how many Santa Fe
modelers have no clue as to how this worked in the Chicago area. All one really
has to do is look at the photos, and talk with some of the IHB/NYC retired rail-
roaders. They can easily identify the trains origin by the cars, lots of PFE's and
meat reefers, a Blue Island connection, SFRD's, a Joliet connection.
What a lot of this boils down to is very simple, the shipper has the right to
route his freight as he sees fit. Many reasons may exist to influence his choice,
rates, connecting times, train schedules, and the railroad serving the consignee
at destination, are but a few. Now it's easy to understand that a large packing
house would easily be turning out loads for many of it's branch houses in the
population centers, most of the traffic is moving to the east. Now, of course you
are going to get different routes to the destinations cities-----and yes, some of
them may even be going to the Pennsy.

Happiness, Jerry Stewart

Woodstock, Illinois

--- In STMFC@..., Thomas Baker <bakert@...> wrote:
Brian,

As a young boy I recall standing on the platform of the new Marshalltown depot in the early to mid-Fifties waiting for Number 6 to take us north to Minneapolis. More than once a freight train heading toward Oelwein got out of Kansas City and Des Moines ahead of us. I stood on the platform and believe I saw some Rath refrigerator cars in the consist. I definitely saw SFRD refrigerator cars, produce I assume, in that consist. Perhaps the CGW was forwarding the RATH cars to Waterloo.

I don't doubt that some meat went to the NYC, but according to my source, the CGW preferred to deal with the NKP when it came to meat.

Tom