Re: ACF post-war box cars

Richard Townsend

Well. A long conversation with Ed Hawkins showed me how misinformed I was. Many, many thanks to Ed for generously sharing his time and expertise. The plans in the 9/90 MM are inaccurate with respect to the roof (the ACF riveted roof is quite different from the Despatch roof, in ways that Ed properly says cannot reasonably be described with written words). From the side, if looking from a low level, they look like Murphy roofs, but the best I can say is that they are little like a cross between the Murphy roofs )especially near the edgw of the roof) and the Despatch roofs (especially near the center of the roof), but with an added twist along the way. My simple kitbash with the dartnaught ends and despatch roof would not be accurate for any ACF box car. Oh well. There's still plenty of cars to model with parts that will work. Thanks again to Ed, and to the others who responded as well.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon