Re: Kato ACF Covered Hoppers

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jerry Dziedzic2 wrote:
Scott, it's nice to hear from you. Been many years. Forgive me another challenge: I regard hatches and hatch locking devices as optional appliances, not as distinguishing design features. ACF cars delivered to major "anthracite road" cement carriers varied in hatch design, configuration (not just 8 or 10-hatch versions, but the longitudinal spacing of the hatches along the roof) and locking devices.
That's my take on it too, Jerry. I think lots of photos back up the idea that the hatch locking equipment is NOT a builder spotting feature.

Publishers of books on railroad history