Re: Freight car Distribution

Dan Sweeney Jr

List,
Would the ORER be considered a primary source? If so, an eager volunteer could reference the tallies of all freight cars (or by type) for each railroad and compute the percentage of total (railroad-owned/leased) freight cars. My oldest ORER is January 1958, so maybe that's not old enough for what folks need?

Dan Sweeney, Jr.
Alexandria, VA

Armand Premo wrote:
I think it is past time that we revisit the Gilbert-Nelson theory.I
trust that it is not heresy to challenge their theory.Based on
primary sources , using a larger sample and not restricting the
study to just box cars the results could be much different.
Of course it's not heresy, and I know Armand has had trouble
accepting the G-N idea for some years. Larger sample, primary sources--
great, please provide those sources. It would indeed be great to have
similar analyses for other car types like hoppers and gondolas, but
Tim and Dave haven't gone there. Anyone?

Publishers of books on railroad history