Re: Freight car Distribution

Brian Carlson

I told myself all day, I was wasn't going to get drawn into this subject.
However, I have to point out the ORER data tells us nothing about
distribution. It a big hardcopy database of useful information but not for
distribution. Armand has a lot of primary information, and Armand correct
me if I am wrong as I am going on memory from our conversations from awhile
back, on the Rutland. That information shed a lot of light on the various
movements on that road and the results didn't exactly mesh with the N-G.
Therefore in Armand's case, the N-G model shouldn't be applied to his
layout.

I would love more primary source material for my lines (Erie Meadville -
Salamanca, and PRR Erie - Renovo, but I have not unearthed wheel reports or
conductors books for 1957 so I am basing my boxcar population on the N-G
model. My conclusion with respect to the N-G model, which I mentioned in my
talk at Cocoa Beach a few years back, was that in the absence of specific
primary source data, the N-G model is a reasonable method to distribute the
boxcar population on a mainline trunk line railroad.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@...