Re: Freight car Distribution - Larry Kline

Tim O'Connor

Naturally double door cars were desirable for lumber, but
lots of lumber was shipped in ordinary 40' single door cars
too. In the 1960's I enjoyed watching a crew of young guys
struggling to unload a 40' car load of "random" lumber (it
looked like an exploded pick-up-stix game). Those "lumber
doors" in 40' box cars weren't there for decoration -- when
the shipper couldn't get any more pieces through the doorway
he threw them in through the door in the end of the car! And
the unloading crew got to untangle the mess.

Speaking of lumber -- anyone know when the first "wrapped"
lumber loads began? I mean the neat stacks of same-length
pieces, all nicely wrapped up. I'm guessing it was sometime
in the 1950's, since that's when wrapped drywall loads on
flats appeared.

Tim O'Connor

At 4/13/2010 12:37 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
Bruce Smith wrote:
In addition, as you know, those automobile cars that were not in
assigned service (and even some captured from that service) could be
used for a variety of other cargos. Among those might be furniture
and many other cargos that would benefit from a larger door
opening . . .
Finished (as opposed to rough) lumber was commonly shipped in
double-door box cars, which until 1954 were defined by AAR as being
"automobile" cars. SP typically bought around half of each order of
double-door boxes in the transition era without loaders, for use in
general service, primarily lumber. There exist SP memos on the need to
capture empty double-door boxes throughout the system, including T&NO,
for movement to Oregon to handle lumber traffic. So let's not view
these as JUST auto and furniture cars.

Tony Thompson