Re: Freight car Distribution - Larry Kline

Tim O'Connor

If the peddler served a rural farm area with grain elevators,
then in a lot of cases the mix of cars often would reflect the
mix of cars on mainline freights. There are a great many photos
of peddlers with very unexpected box cars -- like BAR, PRR, or
SAL on the NP in Montana or the UP in Nebraska.

On the other hand, if the main industries served by the peddler
required specialized cars, like insulated box cars for canned
goods, or extra-height box cars for airplane parts, well, the
mix of cars is going to be very different.

After WWII, the category of "specialized" box cars became so
large that it was listed separately in the CBC tallies. That
trend accelerated throughout the postwar era and that's one
reason the G-N model becomes less useful by 1960. Another reason
is massive changes in the RR industry, loss of LCL, steep declines
in traffic in the northeastern and midwestern US, mergers, etc.

Tim O'Connor

Larry said he studied mainline through freights and said other
trains may not match his research. This brings up something I don't
think has been mentioned - The type of train. We've implied it by
saying a branch may get skewed traffic, but wouldn't the type of
train be as important as the location such as a branch? Would
through freights being more likely to match the N-G model vs.
peddler freights, turns and locals. - Even if that local was on the
main line?
Ned,

Excluding assigned service cars, I have to ask, why would you think
so? Why should "peddler freights, turns and locals" be any
different? The cars on through freights have to be going somewhere,
and they will end up on precisely those trains...

Regards
Bruce