Re: Unwrapped lumber (Was:Freight car Distribution )

mopacfirst

I found a photo, August 1971, showing UP 54720 in Wichita, with a load of banded lumber. The bands (I don't know a better term) are stacked four high, apparently two across and four or three along the length of the car, for a total of apparently fourteen bands of lumber. The two lower levels have four bands, consisting of one band of (eyeballing) eight foot lumber, and two or three of longer, perhaps twelve or fourteen. The top two levels consist of all longer lumber. One band is mixed length, and a different band is wrapped, while all the others on the car are bare.

My memory says there were other bare loads of small dimensional lumber at least until the mid 70s.

Ron Merrick