Re: G-N Hypothesis - Is it just for the "Main Line"?

np328

- In STMFC@..., "Dave Nelson" <Lake_Muskoka@...> wrote:
Now if we take this example as fact -- for discussion purposes only -what we have is a situation where the inbounds and outbound are not well balanced, with the clear result there would be little need to hang on to home road boxcars at this location as there would always be plenty of empty foreign road cars on hand. One could also assume there might be locations where the reverse was true -- that is, almost no foreign road boxcars but a steady demand for empties. And with that in mind, lots of possibilities crop up: any line passing thru a good number of small towns, each of which
having one or more locations that could ship quite a few cars -- lumber mills, Dave Nelson

This situation happened in the PNW. A NP document listing reasons why additional fifty foot double door boxcars needed to be purchased gave the following: During the early 1940's and during WWII, defense shipping from east (of the Mississippi) and auto traffic from Detroit provided plenty of fifty foot double door boxcars the lumber mills craved. They could load these and send them home in the general direction. ( a well balanced siuation)

Then as the war traffic winded down and auto factories in California opened up (Richard Hendrickson's post 89730), this created a need for additional cars of this type.
And from what I have found, given a choice - the mills preferred fifty footers over forty footers. Perhaps Tony Thompson can comment on that regarding SP shippers. For NP/SP&S it certainly was true.

One other thing that I have noticed that is missing from these discussions - tha age of fleets. I have seen in correspondence that some railroads tended to have younger fleets of cars and these did have a higher demand by shippers. In many listings, records I have seen not only list the number of home road/competitors cars, but the age also. Not sure how that would be correlated, I can post scans of these listings if someone would like to see these.
Jim Dick - Roseville, MN