Re: Freight car Distribution

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Viv Brice wrote:
However, to me, we often seem to be talking about traffic and freight cars in the same breath implying that traffic originating on road X always uses road X freight cars. Surely traffic was loaded into whatever MTY freight cars were available, which may or may not be home road, may or may not be cars being headed 'home' or even may be any car which just happens to be in the yard and fits the requirement.
Exactly right, VIv, and that's in fact the entire basis of why the G-N idea can be true: you used what you had if you were short of cars, REGARDLESS of the AAR rules, and that available empty could be almost anything.

Publishers of books on railroad history