Re: Freight car Distribution...help with ICC report

Tim O'Connor

Jeff Aley wrote

For each ICC region (e.g. "Central West"), the percentage of box cars on home
rails is given (28.50%). An assumption is made that each of the roads in the
Central West had exactly 28.50% of their cars on home rails. [The roads in
Central West are ATSF, CB&Q, CRI&P, D&RGW, SP, and UP].

Hmmmm.... I think that assumption has no foundation. I know that the GN
annual reports I have from the 1950's include box car statistical data,
including the fact that for most of EVERY year, the total number of box
cars on GN rails was LESS than the number of cars GN owned! I think the
majority of railroads had on-line box car totals different from their
ownership total -- either more cars, or less. When you think about it,
how could it be otherwise?

In the case of GN (and probably because of the territory, SOO and NP),
cars went off line with lumber and grain, and were very slow to return.

It would be a very interesting fact to find out: For each railroad, what
percentage of loads ORIGINATED on that railroad also TERMINATED on that
railroad? I actually do have exact figures for the Chicago & Alton for
a number of years, but I wonder if there is a "regional bias" with
regard to this statistic? Did the upper midwest railroads tend to send
more loads off-line than say, the PRR or NYC or AT&SF?

Getting back to Jeff's statement, I also recall reading somewhere that
the AT&SF tended to have a very high percentage of home road cars of all
types (e.g. 40% of all freight cars on-line were AT&SF) while the SP
had a much lower percentage (e.g. 25%). I don't recall the exact percent
in each case but I recall there was quite a difference between SP and
AT&SF. I believe a factor in this was that AT&SF offered single-line
service from California to Chicago, something no other carrier had.