Re: Freight car Distribution...help with ICC report

Dave Nelson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

It would be a very interesting fact to find out: For each railroad,
what percentage of loads ORIGINATED on that railroad also TERMINATED
on that railroad?

Tim, the numbers seem to be all over the place.

Rutland in 1950 had 1.96% of all cars handled were purly local traffic and a
third of that seems to be LCL.
Western Pacific in 1950 had 11.5% of all cars handled as purely local
traffic and about 40% of those cars moved gravel.
Rio Grande in 1948 saw 23.57% of all cars handled as purely local traffic;
about 40% of those cars were carring minerals (coal)... and about a quarter
were used for Products of Mfg... But digging into the details it's iron
pipe, gasoline, automobiles, manufactured steel (e.g., coil, beams, etc)
before finally getting down to something clearly in ordinary boxcars: canned
food, which was ~ 11% of all local shipments. So what is that... 2% of all
cars handled?
Santa Fe in 1956 had 35.08% of all cars handled were purly local traffic...
A quarter of those each to Products of Mines and Products of Agriculture and
a third to Products of Mfg. Of the later category, I see ~10% of those cars
were tank cars (e.g., gasoline, lube oil), 5% cement... The remaining 85%
scattered all over... Steel, houshold goods, fetilizer, scrap metal,
whatever.

I dunno if you can see a regional pattern but to my eye it looks very much
like it's telling us whatever happened to be big business on each specific
route... As well, perhaps, why the percentages of the types of owned home
road cars were what why were (e.g., why the Rio Grande had lots of GS gons
on no ventilator boxcars).

Dave Nelson