Re: Freight car Distribution

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Paul, what kind of paperwork is handled by the conductor who is delivering the empty car to the industry? Is this just called a Car Order? Or maybe an "Empty Waybill"?
Tim, I showed example of an Empty Car Bill in my article in the Dec. 2009 RMC. You can see that there. It is entirely different from a waybill and was used by many roads in one form or another.

When an empty car is moved to another (distant) location (e.g. to return to its owner) is that called a Waybill?
Generally no (see above), except for empty privately owned tank cars, which DO move on conventional freight waybills via reverse route.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Join { to automatically receive all group messages.