From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
soolinehistory
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 1:54 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Milling in Transit

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gatwood,
Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Jeff;

I don't know if it was common, but I have seen an awful lot of cars
with powdered flour all over them, like a powdered doughnut almost. I
once asked a guy that worked in a bakery (a BIG one), and he says he
worked a summer in which he shoveled out box cars of flour into a
conveyor. I trust the story was true. I also knew a guy that worked
for National Biscuit company (Nabisco in Pgh), and he said that in the
days before the big covered hoppers came on the scene, they got flour that
way.

A while back James Dick of the NP Historical Society sent me copies of a
bunch of 1920's era correspondence from the NP files (some of it concerned
Soo Line cars and was of interest to me) concerning damage to flour loads
from the Minneapolis milling distraict caused by water condensing on the
inside of unlined steel roofs and dripping on the load. In this
correspondence both loads of bagged flour and bulk loads were mentioned.

I suspect that bagged flour went to consignees who now receive bagged flour
by truck, while bulk loads went to volume customers that now receive Airslide
hoppers.

Dennis