From: rockroll50401
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 9:06 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Covered hopper layout fleet was: Re: C&EI IRC covered hopper

I'd like to know what the variety of roadnames on covered hoppers would be on a layout dated to the mid 50s.

I've always been under the impression that these cars were 'generally' in captive service (cement), but there were cars that would go off line carrying fertilizer products, or feed/food products.

So, what percentage of a layout fleet should be covered hoppers and what precentage of the covered hoppers should be home road?

I think it's kind of like meat reefers, the farther away from the packinghouse they got the most likely they were to be with cars with other company logos.

Any thoughts documentation would be welcome.
Clark Propst