From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
al_brown03
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:00 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Burning boxcar photo help

There were a lot of variations on the XM-1 design, in ends and roofs and
doors and other less visible features, to the point of discussion whether
certain cars are or aren't "true" XM-1s. Pat Wider discusses them in RP CYC
18, pp 31-56.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> com, Tim O'Connor
<timboconnor@...> wrote:

Lester

I thought all XM-1's had flat plate riveted ends. This car is from
Rock Island 140000-140999 built by AC&F in 1929 w/ dreadnaught ends
and a Murphy radial roof. The classic XM-1 had a peaked roof. I'll
admit in other respects it does look a lot like an XM-1.

Tim O'Connor

At 4/17/2010 10:02 AM Saturday, you wrote:
All, In Morning Sun Book, Rock Island Color Guide to Freight and
Passenger Equipment on page 34 there is a photo of a burning boxcar. I
believe it is a XM-1 boxcar design based on pratt truss and end design.
Is it an XM-1?
Lester Breuer