Re: 60-foot flat cars

Bruce Smith

On Apr 22, 2010, at 10:32 PM, buygonet wrote:

Andy:

Did Bill say whether or not they would have plastic or wood decks? I sure hope they are the plastic ones as the wood grain does not scale down on the wood wecks and the plactic ones look a 1000% better. What does everybody else think?

Paul C. Koehler
Paul,

This is one of those subjects that stirs up passions <VBG>. Given my propensity to model WWII era loads, I have a fair number of open top cars where the prototype had wood decks and the models have about an even mix of wood and plastic/resin decks (and even a brass deck or two). At events such as Cocoa Beach and Naperville, the decks that get the compliments are the wood decks. I prefer board by board construction, as it does not leave the obvious gaps between boards that either laser cutting or plastic/brass decks have to convey the impression of boards and prestaining gives some variation in color. I always sand the boards with 300 grit to remove as much visible grain as possible and I discard pieces with grain that is too obvious.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL