Re: 60-foot flat cars

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Paul--

Yes and no. Depends on how weathered a flat car deck you're modelling. Nothing wrong with the work on some better plastic STMFC's.

But, I personally use the Jack Work method to stain wood for models--1 part Fiebing's leather dye

http://www.fiebing.com/Dyes.aspx

to 30 parts rubbing alcohol--more alcohol=lighter stain--less alcohol==darker stain. I find this to be a good start for weathering all stripwood.

Wood flatcar decks AFAIK were creosoted lumber. So the darkness of the creosote will disguise coarse wood grain in stripwood on a model. Though the better quality stuff like Mt. Albert Scale Lumber has a very fine grain.

I'm very partial to board-by-board wood decking on model flatcars. Easy to stain and distress to model heavy wear on a flatcar deck. I think that the disdain for wood model flatcar decks has been brought on by those laser-cut-from-marine-plywood things that adorn some models.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "buygonet" <buygone@...> wrote:

Andy:

Did Bill say whether or not they would have plastic or wood decks? I sure hope they are the plastic ones as the wood grain does not scale down on the wood wecks and the plactic ones look a 1000% better. What does everybody else think?

Paul C. Koehler