Re: 60-foot flat cars

Bruce Smith

On Apr 23, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:
Wood flatcar decks AFAIK were creosoted lumber.
Steve,

Um, "Not Exactly". We've had this discussion before, and the answer is that it depends on the railroad. For example, the PRR used untreated OAK for flat car decks. In the Steam era, this was considered a cheap hardwood and was readily available. OTOH, the ATSF used creosoted pine (that was the wood that was most available to them). The neat part about this is that your flat car decks should reflect this and their appearance should vary because of it. So, for my IM ATSF flat car, which is relatively new, I used a pretty dark brown stain to duplicate the creosote, while a new PRR flat car deck (or individual board) should be a lighter color.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL