Re: 60-foot flat cars

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Good morning Group,

I have found that following the deck painting instructions included with the Tichy flatcar produces one of the better looking styrene "wood" decks that I have seen. Or done.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Apr 23, 2010, at 6:20 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

On Apr 22, 2010, at 10:32 PM, buygonet wrote:

Andy:

Did Bill say whether or not they would have plastic or wood decks?
I sure hope they are the plastic ones as the wood grain does not
scale down on the wood wecks and the plactic ones look a 1000%
better. What does everybody else think?

Paul C. Koehler
Paul,

This is one of those subjects that stirs up passions <VBG>. Given my
propensity to model WWII era loads, I have a fair number of open top
cars where the prototype had wood decks and the models have about an
even mix of wood and plastic/resin decks (and even a brass deck or
two). At events such as Cocoa Beach and Naperville, the decks that
get the compliments are the wood decks. I prefer board by board
construction, as it does not leave the obvious gaps between boards
that either laser cutting or plastic/brass decks have to convey the
impression of boards and prestaining gives some variation in color.
I always sand the boards with 300 grit to remove as much visible
grain as possible and I discard pieces with grain that is too obvious.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL