From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Steve Lucas
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 6:59 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: 60-foot flat cars

Paul--

Yes and no. Depends on how weathered a flat car deck you're modelling.
Nothing wrong with the work on some better plastic STMFC's.

But, I personally use the Jack Work method to stain wood for models--1 part
Fiebing's leather dye

http://www.fiebing. <http://www.fiebing.com/Dyes.aspx> com/Dyes.aspx

to 30 parts rubbing alcohol--more alcohol=lighter stain--less
alcohol==darker stain. I find this to be a good start for weathering all
stripwood.

Wood flatcar decks AFAIK were creosoted lumber. So the darkness of the
creosote will disguise coarse wood grain in stripwood on a model. Though the
better quality stuff like Mt. Albert Scale Lumber has a very fine grain.

I'm very partial to board-by-board wood decking on model flatcars. Easy to
stain and distress to model heavy wear on a flatcar deck. I think that the
disdain for wood model flatcar decks has been brought on by those
laser-cut-from-marine-plywood things that adorn some models.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> com, "buygonet"
<buygone@...> wrote:

Andy:

Did Bill say whether or not they would have plastic or wood decks? I sure
hope they are the plastic ones as the wood grain does not scale down on the
wood wecks and the plactic ones look a 1000% better. What does everybody
else think?

Paul C. Koehler