Re: 60-foot flat cars

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Once again, it's been proven that I learn something new every day!

Paying attention to a particular road's practice for treating (or not treating) wood used for its flatcar decks is called for.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Apr 23, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:
Wood flatcar decks AFAIK were creosoted lumber.
Steve,

Um, "Not Exactly". We've had this discussion before, and the answer
is that it depends on the railroad. For example, the PRR used
untreated OAK for flat car decks. In the Steam era, this was
considered a cheap hardwood and was readily available. OTOH, the
ATSF used creosoted pine (that was the wood that was most available
to them). The neat part about this is that your flat car decks
should reflect this and their appearance should vary because of it.
So, for my IM ATSF flat car, which is relatively new, I used a pretty
dark brown stain to duplicate the creosote, while a new PRR flat car
deck (or individual board) should be a lighter color.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL