Re: Conoco Tankcars

Richard Hendrickson

On May 8, 2010, at 10:15 AM, bill_d_goat wrote:

My question is which paint scheme would be most prevalent in 1950?
Would that paintscheme be found on the AFC type 21 tankcars? As a
follow up question who makes decals for the paint scheme? I have
looked at Champ but they don't have Conoco decals listed on there
website. A search of Microscale was not productive either.

Thanks

Shay Stark
Dear Shay
The following is from an answer provided to me from Richard
Hendrickson a while back.
"All the photos I've seen of the black cars with white billboard
lettering date from the late 1950s and '60s. There were some black
Conoco cars in the 1940s, but they didn't have billboard Conoco
(instead they had Conoco's triangular red and white logo)."
I was asking about my 1943 era, specifically the aluminum with
black billboard vs the black with white billboard.
Since Richard said LATE 1950s, it would appear that for 1950 you
would want the aluminum with black billboard and black with the
triangular logo. FWIW.
Bill beat me to it on this one, but I can at least confirm that he is
correct, AFAIK, about Conoco paint and lettering in 1950.

Richard Hendrickson