Re: New York Central 765-B

Ed Hawkins

On May 12, 2010, at 4:16 AM, Mark M wrote:

recently purchased a built intermountain kit. NYC 40' PS-1 boxcar
#167646 from lot 765-B.

Any suggestions on trucks, roof walk, steps, etc!

Thanks for any help.

Mark Morgan
Mark,
As far as I have been able to determine, NYC's PS-1 box cars typically
came with either Universal or Miner hand brakes and Apex Tri-Lok
running boards and brake steps. I do not know with any degree of
certainty what hand brake(s) came on the Lot 765-B series, and I have
not found any definitive photos. A photo of NYC 167299 (albeit a small
image) is on page 99 of the 1949/51 Car Builders' Cyclopedia. An
in-service photo of NYC 167210 from the same series shows the car rode
on Barber S-2-A trucks. However, this photo is a broadside and does not
show the hand brake.

In case you aren't aware and for what it may be worth to you, the NYC
Lot 765-B cars in series 167000-167999 were built in 1948. This means
that the InterMountain model (patterned after prototype PS-1 box cars
built 1954 and later) has a number of characteristics that are
incorrect for the NYC Lot 765-B cars, including the wrong PS-1 ends
(cars built in 1948 lacked the six rectangles at the peak and had a
different grab arrangement on the right side of the end), the wrong
PS-1 roof (panels closest to the ends were flat), and the bolster tabs
are too wide. The prototype cars had 7-panel Superior doors, which I
don't know if the model comes with or not.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins