Those pesky 40-foot FGE/WFE/BRE/NX steel reefers

Bill Welch

Not to pick too many nits, but technically speaking the hinged doors on reefers are "plug doors" are they not? I have come to prefer "sliding door" and "hinged door' in talking about reefer doors.

From the way Dennis describes the hinged door car version Accurail is doing (diagonal panel roof, improved Dreadnaught ends), these are cars built for FGE (500), WFE (250), BRE (200), and MNX (100) in 1949. I am planning to post a table showing all of the 40-foot steel cars owned by the FGE/WFE/BRE consortium. I have just noticed I did not describe the ends in the table, so I need to fix that. Any of you that have my handout from Naperville or Cocoa Beach on the steel cars has this table. There were variations on the sill configurations, should be an easy fix. The BRE and MNX versions had door handles at a 45 degree angle (or 135 degrees) rather than the usual 90 degrees, another easy fix.

What I am dreading is carving the ladders off of the ends.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "devansprr" <devans1@...> wrote:

Yes, plug door version also. Walthers got the info for the 2011 catalog, due out next October; we haven't put any info up because I didn't think Walthers was going to put it up this early. At this point, we are likely looking at a October release. The plug door car will be 8500 series SKU's, and will likely be out first.

The plug door car is specifically a WFEX car (don't have the numbers handy) but FGEX and BREX both had similar cars. spotting features include diagonal panel roof, improved Dreadnaught ends with the one "squished" rib, and plain lapped side sheets with single rivet rows.

The swing door car will have the same roof and ends; most likely double rivet rows (hat section posts).

As planned now, both cars will have acetal sill steps and brake rodding, like our gondola kit.

Now, I need to get back to work on them.

Dennis Storzek
Accurail, Inc.
Dennis,

From what I can find, these cars started being built during WWII, and being in the WWII modeler minority (as opposed to all of the transition era modelers on this esteemed list), a WFEX with only "Great Northern" in the herald, and Ventilator-Refrigerator on the side would be greatly appreciated (swing door only). A good picture of such a lettering scheme is on the RPI site.

A small group of cars is listed under WFEX in the '43 ORER, an additional numbers are reserved for a new group of cars, but noted to be 5 inches taller inside and out than the first batch already built. This is the only ORER I have - don't know for sure if the subsequent cars were taller.

Keep up all the great work! Really appreciate your selling steam era freight car kits!

Dave Evans
(A late arriving SPF who knows not to use hyphens, but has actually encountered one or two official PRR documents with hyphens - don't tell anyone ;-)