Re: Billboard Reefer Era? (was Mather stock cars)

Thomas Baker

One curiosity for me about the billboard refrigerator cars was an experience I had riding the South Shore from Chicago to South Bend some time between 1977 and 1979. We were on South Shore tracks but had not gone very far when I looked south out the window and saw the body of a wooden refrigerator car. Although the lettering had faded, one could still read clearly "White Water". The car been there a long time, but its end must have been near because I never saw it again.

Tom