Re: NYC Spec 468 boxcars

David Sieber

Richard, or anyone knowledgeable of the NYC, would all of NYC's re-roofed Spec 468 cars also have received replacement steel running boards as BLI says in their catalog? While a reasonable assumption, most photos I've seen appear to show wood running boards on the USRA steel cars. Am I just looking at photos of non-reroofed cars?
Greatly appreciate all the good info everyone's provided so far on BLI's release of these cars - helps me plan my preorder!
Dave Sieber, Reno NV

On May 16, 2010, at 7:06 AM, gn3397 wrote:

Richard (or anyone else who may know), Any idea how late the original flat panel roofs lasted? Were all the cars converted by 1949?
Bob, a few of them probably survived as late as 1949 with the
original roofs, but almost all would have been re-roofed by that time (occasionally, there's a photo of a car with a diagonal panel roof, as NYC shifted from rectangular to diagonal panel roofs in 1948, but those are rare).

Richard Hendrickson