Re: NYC Spec 468 boxcars

Richard Hendrickson

On May 16, 2010, at 5:51 PM, ealabhan0 wrote:

Richard, or anyone knowledgeable of the NYC, would all of NYC's re-
roofed Spec 468 cars also have received replacement steel running
boards as BLI says in their catalog? While a reasonable assumption,
most photos I've seen appear to show wood running boards on the
USRA steel cars. Am I just looking at photos of non-reroofed cars?
Greatly appreciate all the good info everyone's provided so far on
BLI's release of these cars - helps me plan my preorder!
Dave Sieber, Reno NV
Dave, cars that received new roofs during World War II got wood
running boards and kept them unless they required replacement later;
however, though there are photos of cars with new roofs and wood
running boards, the steel running boards applied after ca. 1944 were
far more common. In most of the photos you're seeing where the cars
had wood running boards, they probably also had original roofs.

Richard Hendrickson