Carloads of Coal, was Cinders

Bruce Smith

--- In STMFC@..., "Clark" <cepropst@...> wrote:

We were talking the other day about power plants at medium sized industries. Asking ourselves, but not knowing the answers to the questions; How many car loads of coal would the average boiler power generating system use? And what's the percentage ratio of coal to clinker or cinders?
Clark,

The discussion has been mainly focused on the cinders, but I want to take a stab at the first part. 2 different data points give similar answers. Pennsylvania Power and Light (PP&L) built a coal fired plant at Holtwood PA, site of a hydro generating plant on the lower Susquehanna river. That plant was designed as a "backup plant" to provide additional power at low water levels. It received up to 50 x 50 ton car loads per day of dredged river bottom coal dust (from the upstream breakers). I also know of a small coal fired power plant in Rochester NY that some time in the future (beyond our 1960 cutoff) would get 50 x 100 ton hoppers of coal 2-3 times per week.

So, in both cases, I make that to be 10,000-15,000 tons of coal per week. It is important to note though that in both cases, coal was also stockpiled against the threat of mine strikes, so the actual consumption was somewhat lower (but still enough to justify some serious switching!).

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL