Re: UTLX X-3 Tank Length

Ed Hawkins

On May 17, 2010, at 11:11 AM, shaystark wrote:

I am looking for the lengths of the tanks for the 6,500 gallon and the
short 8,000 gallon X-3 cars. Looking at photos of the 6,500 gallon car
in Arizona and the two short 8,000 gallon cars in museums in the upper
Midwest it looks like the lengths may be different. Some of this may
just be the angles that pictures are taken but it looks to me that the
6,500 gallon tank is shorter and thus the porch on the end is more
pronounced. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to make a trip to
measure the cars. I have a couple Intermountain tank car kits that I
want to kit bash into these cars. Yes I know about the Sunshine cars
but since I have these kits I thought this would be a fun challenge. I
am building new frames and bolsters right now but the tanks have me
baffled.
Shay,
The 8,000-gallon UTLX cars had a tank length of 26' 6-1/2" measured
over head rivets and 28' 7-1/4" measured over heads. The 6,500-gallon
UTLX cars had the identical length measured over head rivets but were
3" shorter (28' 4-1/4) measured over heads. Inside tank diameters were
85" and 76", respectively. These dimensions come from AC&F drawings for
lot numbers 1625 and 1534, respectively.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins