Re: UTLX X-3 Tank Length

SHAY STARK

Shay,
The 8,000-gallon UTLX cars had a tank length of 26' 6-1/2" measured
over head rivets and 28' 7-1/4" measured over heads. The 6,500-gallon
UTLX cars had the identical length measured over head rivets but were
3" shorter (28' 4-1/4) measured over heads. Inside tank diameters were
85" and 76", respectively. These dimensions come from AC&F drawings for
lot numbers 1625 and 1534, respectively.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins
Ed,
Thank you very much for your reply. This is exactly what I was looking for. I noticed that the tank capacity in gallons found on the ends of the two 8,000 gallon cars located in the upper Midwest are slightly different. I am wondering if that could be due to slight differences in tank lengths as part of the manufacturing process or due to the cars being built in different lots or possibly by different builders, or if it was just a difference in who determined the capacity?

Thanks again,

Shay Stark