Re: Grain capy

spsalso

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Clark and Eileen" <cepropst@...> wrote:

Anyone know the bushel capacity of a box car? I know they had grain lines inside, but I know a guy wanting to know the bushels of wheat a car could hold.

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

A typical boxcar for grain was 40-6 inside length, 9 inside width, and 10-6 inside height. This yields 3827 cubic feet. This converts to 3076 bushels with the car filled. Weight would be about 92,000 pounds. A boxcar completely full is hard to believe, so you've got to guess how un-full the car would be.

Ed

Edward Sutorik