Re: Grain capy

rwitt_2000

Clark Propst aked:

Anyone know the bushel capacity of a box car? I know they had grain
lines inside, but I know a guy wanting to know the bushels of wheat a
car could hold.
Edward Sutorik replied:

A typical boxcar for grain was 40-6 inside length, 9 inside width, and
10-6 inside height. This yields 3827 cubic feet. This converts to 3076
bushels with the car filled. Weight would be about 92,000 pounds. A
boxcar completely full is hard to believe, so you've got to guess how
un-full the car would be.

Ed,

I haven't checked your calculations, but all the grain lines markings I
have seen were well below the top of the door openings considerably
below the maximum height. I always assumed the loading levels were
established to indicate when the car reached its load limit for a
particular type of grain and that volume was determined by the bulk
density of the grain.

Bob Witt
Indianapolis, Indiana