Re: Wish List.... May 2010 release

Armand Premo

Yes Mike, I am wide awake. After two days of record breaking heat.my basement offered a welcome sanctuary.Considering regional biases your mention of hoppers made me sit up and take notice.The Anthracite roads have not been given due attention along with the Virginian,Western Maryland B&O. and L&N . Rhetorically speaking,how many roads other than the Pennsy rostered quad hoppers?Personally I would like to see a Magor side dump and a Hart Ballast car.and boxcars for the B&A and TH&B.. While I have been messing with this response I missed a breathtaking sunset over Lake Champlain.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Brock
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Wish List.... May 2010 release

I'm always a bit amused to read wish lists for frt cars. I'll also freely
admit that I no nothing about scales other than HO [ some will add HO as
well ].

I suppose the criteria for asking a manufacturer to expend the loot to
generate tooling for a plastic car probably should be dependent upon the
number of cars that might reasonably be sold. There have been, over the
years, various scenarios that might be used to project such sales. You
know...the car needs to have been owned by ATSF, SP, UP, B&O, NYC, Pennsy,
C&O, Central Vermont [ just checking to see if Armand Premo is awake ],
Southern, GN, NP, ACL and SAL. Actually, a car owned by UP and 5 others
would probably be acceptable <G>. However, is that really a good scenario? I
mean, since the STMFC has shown time and again that box cars went
everywhere, is there any real reason for the other 5...if we're talking box
cars? Well...paraphrasing that infamous statement made by a former member of
the SP 4449 crew to me at the end of Railfair 81 [ Hmmm. Denny (
Anspach )...isn't it about time for another? Denny? You there? Haven't heard
from you for awhile ] when I asked if the SP dispatcher would tell us when
4449 was scheduled to leave Sacramento..."Probably Not", I'll say, Probably.
Why? Simple. The STMFC still only gets to about 1650 modelers. Nevertheless,
it is difficult to find a car that has not been made that would work for
several of the above RR's [ a 50 ft auto car like MDC did sounds good ].
So...abandoning that criteria and speaking of box/auto cars, obviously 3 or
4 come to mind. First, the UP A-50-14 and A-50-15 with and without end
doors. Second, UP A-50-19. Trix did the A-50-16...of course calling it a 19.
We can add the UP B-50-19 and/or B-50-21. And, while I'm feeling
generous...how about an ATSF FE-24? I mean, the thing was painted in green
for express service and Mineral Brown for frt service. They could sell 2 to
a real Santa Fe guy.

As usual...when this topic comes up, I find myself thinking [ no doubt in
error ] that the number of prototype cars should have significance. And...as
usual...presto! The AAR Alternate standard 50 ton hopper...of which C&O had
about 20,000. I mean...what's the difference between 10,000 and 80,000 when
it comes to frt cars? It's sorta like...can you tell the difference between
15° and 25°? I can't. In fact...below freezing [ 53°? ], I can't tell
anything. But, regardless of the numbers...we'll likely have another
manufacturer produce yet another AAR standfard 50 ton hopper.
And...yes...hoppers of all kinds wandered all over the northeast and
midwest. Uh oh...a certain dignified, well spoken and extremely
knowledgeable frt car historian will no doubt imquire why I think C&O
hoppers appeared in Nevada [ midwest ] so...I should say in the region
Illinois and east north of Alabama/Jawga/South Carolina....including New
York but perhaps not Vermontanada...wherever that is. Armand? So...if one
models the C&EI, C&IM, NKP, NC&STL, L&N, Southern, PRR, NYC, B&O, Erie, D&H,
RF&P, Mil, Clinchfield, Monon, DT&I, RDG, New Haven, N&W [ yes, even N&W ],
IC, W&LE, LV, Wabash, B&LE, P&LE, P&WV [ I know such a modeler ], WM, DL&W,
Virginian, and, of course...South Buffalo....you need C&O hoppers.

So...given that...I suppose we'll finally get an AAR Alternate Standard 50
ton hopper...eh? Well...in the words of that infamous SP
dispatcher...Probably Not.

Mike Brock