Re: DCFC's [Was: PRR X-29's, NYC Lot 486 . . .]

Peter Ness

I kitbashed a 125 ton DCFC from two Bachmann flats which turned out horrible...the end decks arch upward because I thought I was being smart and keep portions of the Bachmann curved weights in the car. I need to break the car apart and repair it, someday. A 200 ton DCFC can be built from a modified kit Walthers produced years back. Walthers has made two versions of high capacity DCFC's. The later (still in production, I think) version represents a later car of welded construction rather than steel castings, I believe. The earlier kit is a good starting point for a GSC car.

It was great when the ECW 90 ton kits were around as the deck plates and brake stands were very useful for other cars. The E&P models are indeed beautiful, but they went for more than a brass caboose when new and I couldn't afford one now (well, I could, but I'd rather buy a bunch of cars for that money than only one...)

Regards,
Peter Ness

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2010 2:43 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Cars we need [Was: PRR X-29's, NYC Lot 486 . . .]

Todd Horton wrote
>The GSC flats were done in brass many years ago. I have two of those and they're really nice. I don't recall whoƂ the builder or importer was. It would be n eat to see them done in plastic. The C of G had 5 of them, they were all assembled in their shops basically from kits

E&P did some of them in brass -- there are detail differences between
prototypes -- the decks could be wood, steel, or a combination, and some
had built-in tie down devices while some did not. Also early trucks were
plain bearing while some later cars received roller bearings.

The E&P models are beautiful. They fetch high prices now -- saw a NYC
model go for $353 (unpainted!) on Ebay last November.

Tim O'Connor

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.