Re: Merchants Despatch Reefer construction

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

The bow almost seems exagerated in that photo; there's another builder's photo of a car from the same series on the Wikipedia articlel for MDT which I beleive is also from the Detroit Publishing collection. I've never noticed such a bow before , but if I stare at it there does seem to be one. Side shots of cars from the same lot in service do not exhibit bow; and very old cars exhibit a bow but the other way. My guess is the truss rods may have been a bit overtightened to compensate for settling of the hardware under road and loading conditions. Just a guess. I also suspect some of the bowing is due to the angle of the shot.

Roger Hinman
On May 30, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Arthur Kuperstein wrote:

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. I have copied the link to
a c.1906 photo from Shorpy,
<http://www.shorpy.com/node/8252?size=_original> , showing a siding full
of new Merchants Despatch reefers. All of them look new with a *distinct
hump , floor to roof line*. Is this typical for this type of
construction? The older reefers down the track appear to have flat floor
lines. Thanks.
Art Kuperstein
M&PRR c.1949
Langhorne, Pa.