Weathered reweigh dates, was: Re: Re: IC 40' box car decal

robert.allan32 <baallan@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Mike Brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

Brian Carlson notes:

Mike: You need to get one of those History channel or Discovery Channel
shows that investigate UFO's and other strange phenomena. Maybe you have
some strange energy vortex down there, it might also explain those N&W
hoppers.
The funny part of this is that it was true...although the dirt/sand covered
the entire bottom of the side...for awhile. I noticed in some steam era
videos that the ballast was very dark...almost black. Long time steam era
photographer and author, Ross Grenard, told me that UP poured oil on the
ballast to keep the dirt/sand from blowing. Now, at first glance, one has to
wonder...wouldn't that be a fire hazard? I mean, UP steam engines were
continually setting fires in the prairie grass beside the tracks. Of course,
that area did experience a great deal of wind blown sand erosion. I
experienced it on more than one occasion...extremely fine sand particles
blown by 40 mph winds entered and shut down my video camera on one trip.

Mike Brock
Friction bearings required lots of oil. I can remember early in my career barrels of journal oil being distributed across the yard, with car inspectors dispatched to insure each journal was filled before dispatch. I am sure this contributed to the appearance of track (and trucks) in that era.

In addition, track angle bars and bolts were lubricated regularly to insure the track structure could expand/contract with the temperature. Lubrication and a hammer were the 1st solution to most problems many car- and track-men encountered! Today, environmental standards prohibit many of these solutions.