Re: Merchants Despatch Reefer construction

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Roger Hinman <rhinman@...> wrote:

The bow almost seems exaggerated in that photo; there's another builder's photo of a car from the same series on the Wikipedia article for MDT which I believe is also from the Detroit Publishing collection...
It appears that the focal length of the lens was what could be considered a mild telephoto; all the cars are foreshortened and that accentuates the bow.

What is more interesting to me is the color separation on the needle beams, they appear to be hand painted without the aid of any masking. They also end at different places; on the nearest beam the white ends just above the inner bolt on the queenpost casting, while on the next beam it extends several inches further. I guess this is what you do when the customer wants the needle beams white but not the whole underframe.

Dennis