Re: Merchants Despatch Reefer construction

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

The needlebeam support is wood whereas everything in the under-frame by this time was iron or steel, hence painting it a different color made some sense. It was very common on 19th century cars to paint the iron work black. As far as the color separations, this is an interesting observation. My assumption has been the entire wood beam was painted white whereas this photo makes it appear the white is a highlight painted on the ends.
I have a good side shot of a car in this series after years of service and the demarcation between light and dark is a straight triangular line which I take to be a shadow. So one theory is the dark is shadow, the other would be it's a highlight and if that is the case, there is certainly a lot of variation.

FYI, the customer for these cars was the company that built them.

Roger Hinman
On May 31, 2010, at 12:54 PM, soolinehistory wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Roger Hinman <rhinman@...> wrote:

The bow almost seems exaggerated in that photo; there's another builder's photo of a car from the same series on the Wikipedia article for MDT which I believe is also from the Detroit Publishing collection...
It appears that the focal length of the lens was what could be considered a mild telephoto; all the cars are foreshortened and that accentuates the bow.

What is more interesting to me is the color separation on the needle beams, they appear to be hand painted without the aid of any masking. They also end at different places; on the nearest beam the white ends just above the inner bolt on the queenpost casting, while on the next beam it extends several inches further. I guess this is what you do when the customer wants the needle beams white but not the whole underframe.

Dennis