From: Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Mon, May 31, 2010 5:46 pm
Subject: Re: Weathered reweigh dates, was: Re: [STMFC] Re: IC 40' box car decal

I said:
Oil was also sprayed on the rails to reduce corrosion from the salt
brine dripping from passing ice reefers. Oil spray cars vanished at
the
same time as ice reefers on many railroads.
Bob Witt replied:
I don't believe I have ever seen an "oil spray car".
Weed sprayers, but not oil sprayers; does any one have a photo to
share?

Bob,

PRR #497700, page 422, Pennsy Power 3. The caption notes that the PRR
"was one of the few railroads that did it [spay oil] mechanically."

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL